Job Title: Associate Director of Development
Location: New York
Application Deadline: July 24th 2015 but applications will be considered on a rolling basis
New Media Advocacy Project Description:
The New Media Advocacy Project (N-Map) is an innovative human rights organization that helps human rights lawyers and advocates integrate video and other media into their work. We help advocates throughout the world tell their stories in more compelling and powerful ways to tip the balance in the toughest cases and campaigns.
N-Map works on behalf of courageous clients in areas such as unlawful detention, gender-based violence, forced evictions, prison conditions, race discrimination, criminal justice, and more. We develop high-quality, tactically sophisticated media advocacy projects that can be used in the courtroom, in legislative offices, within our clients’ communities, and more broadly in the public.
N-Map was recognized in 2014 by Google Executive Chairman, Eric Schmidt, as one of 10 organizations advancing the “New Digital Age.”
N-Map seeks an experienced and ambitious development professional to help take N-Map to the next level of growth. The Associate Director of Development will report to the Executive Director and leadership team to advance all aspects of N-Map’s fundraising and development work, including individual major gifts, foundation grants, and business development initiatives for client projects. The Associate Director of Development will develop and help to implement an ambitious and diversified fundraising strategy and build internal systems to maximize our ability to pursue multiple avenues of development with a lean staff.
This is a job for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and work-style. N-Map is a young and fast-growing human rights organization – fundraising in this field is challenging, and we must be creative, adaptable, and original as we seek to bring resources to bear on our important work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director and leadership team to shape and lead a development strategy for acquisition of individual donors, foundations, and fee projects;
- Develop and execute a rigorous stewardship strategy for existing donors, including responsibility for correspondence, grant reports, and other writing as needed;
- Cultivate and manage relationships with individual major gift donors; lead the strategy for progressing the relationship from cultivation to gift solicitation;
- Develop a business development pipeline for fee-paying clients;
- Grant writing, including primary drafting and managing other staff participating in grant writing;
- Work with supporters to organize cultivation events to expand N-Map’s network and prospect pipeline;
- Assist the ED with developing the Board of Directors;
- Oversee the organization’s fundraising database;
- Manage mailing list and donor directed communications;
- Develop fundraising materials for external use; and
- Other tasks as needed.
- At least five years of professional experience in development, particularly in human rights, public interest law or international development;
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing grant reports and donor communications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including working with international teams;
- Experience developing high-quality fundraising materials, pitches and campaigns;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; candidate must be detail-oriented, well-organized and able to effectively manage competing priorities and competing deadlines; and
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights and public interest work.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and statement of interest as one attachment to Meryl Friedman at email@example.com with the subject line “Associate Director of Development.”