Job Description: Creative and Technical Director
Start Date: Spring 2014
Location: New York City
Who We Are:
The New Media Advocacy Project (N-Map) is a non-profit organization that advances human rights by using digital video and other technology in courts, legislatures, and communities. N-Map’s lawyers, advocates, and media professionals help human rights organizations integrate new technology directly into their strategies, enabling them to win their cases and campaigns more effectively and efficiently.
N-Map works on behalf of courageous clients in areas such as unlawful detention, gender-based violence, forced evictions, prison conditions, race discrimination, criminal justice, and more. We develop tactically sophisticated media to be used in the courtroom, legislative offices, within our clients’ communities, and for the general public.
N-Map’s innovative work was recognized in 2014 by Google Executive Chairman, Eric Schmidt, as one of 10 organizations advancing the “New Digital Age.”
N-Map is looking for an imaginative producer to join our team as the Creative and Technical Director (CTD). The CTD will be an innovative thinker and digital media professional, with strong technical skills, who is committed to human rights.
The CTD will work with the Executive Director and Deputy Director, and our international staff, to shape the creative vision behind our many projects and to execute that vision by producing a wide variety of media. The CTD will collaborate with human rights defenders and lawyers around the world to produce videos and other media that can help tip the balance in their most challenging cases. This is a rare opportunity to use creative skills to directly and immediately impact human rights work.
- The CTD willwork with experienced lawyers and advocates to produce short form documentaries, campaign videos, social ads, and other kinds of media. The CTD will manage a variety of media advocacy projects as well as manage other producers and creative teams. This will likely include significant international travel.
- The CTD will participate in project management, distribution strategy, client relations, and other responsibilities that go beyond media production. The Director will be at the center of innovative advocacy campaigns on behalf of survivors of human rights violations around the world.
- The CTD will serve as a media technology resource for N-Map, advising the organization on media technology, managing our media archive, developing and managing workflow, advising on hardware and software acquisitions, production and design technology, and more.
- The CTD will recruit and manage creative contractors around the world, particularly local production crews and bilingual editors.
- The CTD will assist with project implementation, including strategic distribution, outreach, and audience engagement efforts, which are unique to each project
- At least 5 years experience working in documentary or television production, design or media and technology. This is a serious requirement. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more experience are strongly encouraged to apply as well.
- Ability to produce documentary film from preliminary ideation to final distribution. The ideal candidate will be a “jack of all trades producer,” with solid editing skills and, ideally, professional videography skills or field sound recording skills.
- Strong technical knowledge of video editing software, design software, and production equipment.
- Other technical and design skills are a plus (but not required). These include graphic design, motion graphics, UI design, coding, social media, etc.
- Travel experience throughout the developing world and the ability to work effectively in physically and culturally uncomfortable environments. This position will involve a significant amount of international travel.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment (in any sector) is a significant plus.
A competitive salary will be commensurate with experience. Generous benefits included.
How to Apply:
Please send a résumé, statement of interest, and links to reels and portfolios (ideally as one attachment) to Meryl Friedman at email@example.com.