Job Description: Program Associate
Start Date: Spring 2014
Location: New York City
Who We Are:
The New Media Advocacy Project (N-Map) is a non-profit organization that advances human rights by using digital video and other technology in courts, legislatures, and communities. N-Map’s lawyers, advocates, and media professionals help human rights organizations integrate new technology directly into their strategies, enabling them to win their cases and campaigns more effectively and efficiently.
N-Map works on behalf of courageous clients in areas such as unlawful detention, gender-based violence, forced evictions, prison conditions, race discrimination, criminal justice, and more. We develop tactically sophisticated media to be used in the courtroom, legislative offices, within our clients’ communities, and for the general public.
N-Map’s innovative work was recognized in 2014 by Google Executive Chairman, Eric Schmidt, as one of 10 organizations advancing the “New Digital Age.”
N-Map is looking for a Program Associate to support our growing international team. The Program Associate will provide administrative and operational support for the organization and will have the opportunity to directly assist with many of N-Map’s cutting-edge projects.
The Program Associate will play a crucial role in organizing and coordinating complex domestic and international projects by: planning video shoots, communicating with our global network of partners, and researching a variety of human rights, technology and legal issues. The Program Associate will participate in many aspects of non-profit management, including operations, fundraising, communications, and project design and implementation. This position may require domestic and international travel to assist with projects.
Responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
o Providing support for the Executive Team and Project Managers, including:
- Serving as a production assistant for field projects, and as an editorial assistant for video edits;
- Participating in the creative and strategic development of projects;
- Conducting research to support projects;
- Assisting with planning domestic and international travel.
o Providing general administrative and operational support for the organization, including:
- Drafting blog posts, presentations, and grant proposals;
- Managing internal communications and schedules of our international staff;
- Maintaining our contacts database;
- Assembling grant proposals, pitches, and fundraising materials;
- Drafting correspondence with partners and colleagues in English (and other languages, if possible).
- BA/BS or equivalent degree required.
- 1- 3 years of professional experience, particularly in a non-profit, startup, or social enterprise.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communications, including some experience working with people from other cultures.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be detail oriented, well-organized and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights and public interest work.
- Familiarity with Spanish is a huge plus, but is not necessary.
- Knowledge of video production and editing, computer programming, or graphic design are all pluses, but not required.
How to Apply:
Please send a résumé and statement of interest (ideally in one attachment) to Meryl Friedman at email@example.com. Applicants with graphic design and film backgrounds are encouraged to send portfolios.